Competition is fierce between Estate Agents. Walk down any High Street and you will often see several Estate agents, usually close to each other.
How do you go about choosing an estate agent to sell your home? To begin with, in addition to the fees charged, make sure you fully understand the services they are going to provide. If you are engaging an estate agent on the High Street then the services then they should as a minimum:
- Carry out a professional property valuation
- Arrange an Energy Performance Certificate
- Prepare sales particulars and take photos to market your property to its best possible advantage
- Advertise the property for sale – both in their window, in newspapers, and most importantly online.
- Vet potential buyers to assess their seriousness. We can all do without time wasters.
- Arrange and carry out property viewings, or if you prefer to do viewings yourself make all necessary arrangements
- Follow up every viewing with the prospective purchaser to get feedback which will help in any future viewings.
- Negotiate with potential buyers on your behalf and help to maximise the property sale price
- Liaise with solicitors when a buyer has been found to ensure a smooth transaction
Estate agents fees will vary for these services, and estate agent commission charges can range from 1 – 5% depending on the property and how difficult it will be to market it. Typically the figure is around 2% of the sales price. Remember estate agents fees ARE negotiable.
Ensure that your estate agent advertises online through one of the big internet selling sites such as RightMove or PrimeLocation as most people now carry out their main research when buying a house by going online.
Online Estate Agents
When choosing an estate agent to sell your home one new option is to use an online estate agent. Online estate agents offer similar services to traditional estate agents but generally charge a much lower commission.